Residency Classification Guide
Paragraph 4: Out-of-State Students Who are not Required to Pay Out-of-State Tuition
- An unemancipated, currently enrolled student shall be reclassified out-of-state should his or her parent, having theretofore been domiciled in the State, remove from the State. However, such student shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition nor be treated as an out-of-state student for admission purposes so long as his or her enrollment at a public higher educational institution or institutions shall be continuous.
- An unemancipated person whose parent is not domiciled in this State but is a member of the armed forces and stationed in this State, or who are stationed at Fort Campbell pursuant to military orders shall be classified out-of-state but shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition. Such a person, while in continuous attendance toward the degree for which he or she is currently enrolled, shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition if his or her parent thereafter is transferred on military orders.
- Part-time students who are not domiciled in this State, but who are employed full-time in the State or who are stationed at Fort Campbell pursuant to military orders, shall be classified out-of-state but not be required to pay out-of-state tuition. This shall apply to part-time students who are employed in the State by more than one employer, resulting in the equivalent of full-time employment.
- A member of the U.S. Armed Forces on active duty for more than thirty (30) days and who has a permanent duty station in the state of Tennessee (or the spouse or dependent child of such a member) who should be classified out-of-state but shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition. This provision shall continue to apply to such a member, spouse, or dependent child while continuously enrolled at that public higher education institution, notwithstanding a subsequent change in the permanent duty station of the member to a location outside the State.
- A person who is domiciled in the Kentucky counties of Fulton, Hickman, or Graves shall be classified as out-of-state and shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition at The University of Tennessee at Martin if qualified for admission. This exemption is on the condition that Murray State University in Murray, Kentucky continue to admit Tennessee residents from selected Tennessee counties to enroll in that institution without payment of out-of-state tuition.
- Any dependent child not domiciled in Tennessee but who qualifies and is selected to receive a scholarship under the Dependent Children Scholarship Act (T.C.A. 49-4-704) because his or her parent is a law enforcement officer, fireman, or emergency service technician who was killed or totally and permanently disabled while performing duties within the scope of employment, shall be classified as out-of-state but shall not be required to pay out of state tuition.
Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 49, Chapter 7, Part 13, relative to the Tennessee Veterans Education Transition Support Act (enacted March 29, 2017):
A veteran or other individual eligible to receive educational benefits administered by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, through any provision of the United States Code, shall not be required to pay out-of-state tuition or any out-of-state fees when the veteran or other individual is:
- Enrolled in any public institution of higher education in this state;
- Utilizing such benefits at the enrolling institution; and
- Living in the state of Tennessee, regardless of the individual’s formal state of residency
****This act is effective July 1, 2017 and replaces the prior act effective July 1, 2015. This act will not be applied retroactively.****
- Students not domiciled in Tennessee but are selected to participate in specified institutional undergraduate Honors Programs shall be classified as out of state but shall not be required to pay out of state tuition. ****NOTE – The University of Tennessee at Knoxville does not grant in-state status to students based upon membership in the Chancellor’s Honors Program or its other honors programs. ONLY non-resident recipients of Chancellor’s Scholarships and Haslam Scholars are considered out-of-state students who are not required to pay out of state tuition. *****
- A “covered individual” under the Federal Veterans Access, Choice, and Accountability Act of 2014, Public Law 113-146, who maintains continuous enrollment at the same public institution of higher education.
Authority: Public Acts of Tennessee, 1839-1840, Chapter 98, Section 5; Public Acts of Tennessee, 1807, Chapter 64; and Tenn. Code Ann. § 49-9-105. Administrative History: Original rule filed November 23, 1976; effective December 23, 1976. Repeal and new rule filed May 27, 1986; effective August 12, 1986. Repeal and new rule filed May 27, 2015; effective August 25, 2015.
The Office of the University Registrar
209 Student Services Building - Knoxville, TN 37996-0200
Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, except holidays.
Telephone calls for the Office of the University Registrar are answered by One Stop Student Services (865-974-1111) located at Hodges Library Ground Floor, 1015 Volunteer Boulevard. To contact University Registrar staff please refer to Staff Listing.