Skip to Main Content

The University of Tennessee Click Here for the University of Tennessee home page

Office of the University Registrar

Frequently Used Tools:

Transfer Students

Welcome to the Office of the University Registrar's transfer student webpage. Our goal is to provide important information that will guide you through the transfer process. Do not hesitate to contact us and let us know how we can ensure that you have a smooth transition to our campus.

If you are currently attending a community college in Tennessee, we encourage you to become familiar with the course equivalency tables and the Tennessee Transfer Pathways and to consult with your community college advisor for pre-transfer advising information.

Transfer Credit Policy Prior to Fall Semester 2013: Transfer credit is granted only for courses in which a grade of "C" or better was earned, except where a Tennessee Transfer Pathway, an articulation agreement or an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science Degree is completed at a Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR) Community College. The policy accepting D grades for an associate degree began Fall Semester 2009, and applies to any student who completed their AA or AS Tennessee Board of Regents degree in 2009, and entered the University of Tennessee Fall Semester 2009 or later. This policy does not apply to completion of an Associate of Applied Science degree.

Transfer Credit Policy beginning Fall Semester 2013: Transfer credit will be granted for courses in which a grade of “D-” or better was earned. Credit in which a grade of F was earned is not applicable and will not count toward a degree; however, the course, hours and grade are placed on The University of Tennessee transcript and calculated in the transfer GPA. Many UTK programs require a grade of C or higher in courses in the major and the student bears the ultimate responsibility for educational planning, selecting courses, meeting program requirements, and adhering to policies and procedures.

We have provided links that will be very helpful as you make this transition to the University of Tennessee.

After completing coursework at another institution, please have an official transcript sent to:

Admissions Office
320 Student Services Building
Knoxville, TN 37996












Contact Information