The University of Tennessee, Knoxville


The Office of the University Registrar evaluates all undergraduate transfer coursework through a long standing collaborative effort with departmental faculty, department heads, and undergraduate program coordinators. This process assures that transfer courses cover the same content and require the same learning outcomes at UT coursework. For college level non-remedial courses without an exact equivalent to UT, LD is assigned to lower division course credit (100-200 level) and UD is assigned to upper division course credit (300-400 level). Lower division course credit (100-200 level) is not awarded for upper division course credit (300-400 level), and vice versa, unless approved by the department in which the transfer course is being considered.

Transfer Credit Policy for Transfer students admitted Fall Semester 2013: Transfer credit will be granted only for college level non-remedial courses in which a grade of “D-“ or  better was earned. Credit in which a grade of F was earned is not applicable and will not count toward a degree; however, the course, hours and grade are placed on The University of Tennessee transcript and calculated in the transfer GPA. Many UTK programs require a grade of C or higher in courses in the major and the student bears the ultimate responsibility for educational planning, selecting courses, meeting program requirements, and adhering to policies and procedures.

Transfer grade averages are calculated by UTK and may differ from averages calculated by other institutions. All courses attempted and grades earned, including repeated course work, in college level and non-remedial courses are considered in holistic review. The last attempt for a repeated course will be the one accepted for transfer credit and recorded on the permanent record. This information will be used in making decisions about admission, course placement, and other academic decisions. The official grade point average for any UTK student does not include transfer grades.

If a student disagrees with a transfer credit evaluation, the student may appeal the decision by providing additional course information that includes a course syllabus, course outline, required textbook, and instructor information. The Office of the University Registrar will contact the appropriate department for a review of the submitted information.

Transfer Credit: Study Abroad Policy

Transfer Credit: Military Policy

For additional information concerning admission as a transfer student, please contact Undergraduate Admissions at (865) 974-2184. You can also send an e-mail to

For additional information concerning transfer credit evaluation please contact the Office of the University Registrar at (865) 946-3864. You can also send an e-mail to

The Office of the University Registrar

209 Student Services Building - Knoxville, TN 37996-0200
Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, except holidays.


Telephone calls for the Office of the University Registrar are answered by One Stop Student Services (865-974-1111) located at Hodges Library Ground Floor, 1015 Volunteer Boulevard. To contact University Registrar staff please refer to Staff Listing.


The University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Big Orange. Big Ideas.

Knoxville, Tennessee 37996 | 865-974-1000 | The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System

Contact Webmaster