The uTrack policy can be found in the 2015-2016 Undergraduate Catalog, under the Academic Policies and Procedures section.
Quick Facts About uTrack
- uTrack is like an academic GPS system, guiding students to their destination—a timely graduation.
- Allows students to see which courses they must successfully complete—and when they must complete them—to graduate on time.
- Alerts students if they get off track with their coursework or grades.
- Prompts students to change majors if they don’t get back on track.
When uTrack begins:
- uTrack starts in Fall 2013 with first-time, first-year, full-time, degree-seeking students. Students who begin in Summer 2013 will also be tracked. (Their full-time status will be based on Fall enrollment.)
- Begins tracking transfer students who enroll in the summer or fall of 2015.
- Does NOT apply to students enrolled at UT prior to Summer 2013.
Why we’re implementing uTrack:
- On-time graduation is important to our students, their families, UT, and our state.
- Students who graduate in four years incur less debt, don’t risk losing scholarships with time or credit hour limits.
- Makes the university more efficient in providing classroom instruction.
- State funding requires successful retention and graduation rates.
- Important part of our Top 25 plan.
- Based on academic performance, uTrack helps students select an appropriate major.
- All entering students will have declared a major or exploratory track.
- “College exploratory” = trying to decide among majors in a single college
- “University exploratory” = trying to decide among majors in different colleges
- Students in exploratory tracks must select a major by the end of their fourth tracking semester.
- uTrack will ensure that students are progressing toward a timely graduation.
- Term-by-term plans and milestones for each major are available in the Undergraduate Catalog.
- Students will be able to run their uTrack reports 24/7 through MyUTK.
- uTrack takes snapshots of students’ progress in fall and spring semesters to determine whether the student is on- or off-track.
- Students are still encouraged to participate in Study Abroad and Co-op opportunities—they will not be tracked during those semesters.
- uTrack alerts students and advisors when a student is off-track.
- If off-track at the end of one tracking semester, student must meet with their advisor to plan a path to get back on track.
- If off-track for two consecutive tracking semesters, student must meet with an advisor to select a new major.
- Tracking status will be displayed in MyUTK and on the Academic History.
- Advisors will be able to see the student’s full tracking history in Self-Service Banner.
- Mini and summer terms are not tracking semesters, but they provide great opportunities to catch up and get back on track.
The Office of the University Registrar
209 Student Services Building - Knoxville, TN 37996-0200
Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, except holidays.
Telephone calls for the Office of the University Registrar are answered by One Stop Student Services (865-974-1111) located at Hodges Library Ground Floor, 1015 Volunteer Boulevard. To contact University Registrar staff please refer to Staff Listing.